First step for this is to upload the 2008 R2 SP1 ISO to the Datastore. Being a 3GB file I was expecting this to take a fair amount of time but was still shocked to see the 14 hours remaining timer. Pretty typical for a consumer grade Internet connection I guess though. Unfortunately the upload died about 5 hours in with an I/O error. I did a little research into this error and it turns out to be pretty common, with the most common work around being to use SSH / SCP to upload the file. I was about to call it a night anyway, and didn't know if there were any limitations with Redstation's deployment of my dedicated box that would prevent me from enabling SSH, so I decided to give the Datastore browser upload one last go, leaving it overnight, and stabilising my side of the setup as much as possible. I turned off wireless, plugged in an Ethernet cable and copied the ISO from a USB drive to the local system disk. On checking the upload the following day I found it had completed successfully.
- 2x vCPU
- 2GB Ram
- 30GB OS Drive
- 8GB PageFile drive
So in the v-Sphere client I chose new VM and went with custom configuration.
For naming purposes, this won't be a production VM so I'll just go with a logical name to differentiate from any other templates I may create.
For now I'll be placing the system drives on the SSD storage. Once that starts running a little low I'll move some lower priority ones to the SAS storage, I/O on system disks is generally pretty low aside from during bootup, and as long as PageFiles are moved off and no non standard additional services have been installed to them.
Next, I chose virtual machine version 8, and Windows 2008 R2 as the guest operating system.
Dropped the memory down from the default of 4GB to 2GB.
I left the SCSI settings at their defaults, chose to create a new virtual disk, set the size to 30GB and set disk provisioning to thin provision.
Under settings I selected the CD/DVD drive and pointed it to the Windows 2008 ISO I had uploaded earlier, setting it to connect at power on.
I then chose to add additional hardware, selecting Hard Disk.
This second disk will be for the PageFile, so I set it to 8GB and also to thin provision.
After completing that wizard I was ready to boot and configure the templates OS. I'll cover this in my next post.